Sunday, June 26, 2011

King of the Mountain

With Norm Black before the start

The start of the race

Crossing the stream

climbing after the stream

Running along the trail



The trail along the pipeline
The last km

 I ran my first King Of the Mountain race organised by WAMC (the West Australian Marathon Club ) today.I did a 1.28.27  time for the 16.1 km event despite nearly missing the start as I went to the wrong start line .It was at Helena Primary School and I went to Mt Helena Primary school some 16 km away. Got there with 5 minutes to spare and register and get a number.

Started the race with a sub 5 km pace which was too fast and my legs were still sore from the past 2 days of activity after a week of none. But I soon got into a comfortable pace despite the fatigue and passed some runners.I had a gel and water about 3kms into the race and there were a small stream to cross and so the shoes did get wet ...and that did lead to a blister eventually .

I tried to keep the pace at below 5.30 and did largely succeed accept for the last 2kms which was mainly uphill. Given the sore legs before the run it was about what I expected. Will try and do  as many runs as possible in the hills in preparation for City to Surf in August.The Garmin had my moving average and overall average at quite a significant difference even though I did not stop at all so I can't explain the difference but I think when the results come out it would be at the 1.28 mark.










The rest of the day I spent resting and taking JJ to the WA Museum .Walked around and he chased the seagulls and enjoyed the sunshine that did come out in the afternoon . Ironman France is on and have been trying to follow the progress but there is no live feed just updates which are slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment