Saturday, October 8, 2011

With a Little help from My Friends




Promise Yourself

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something worthwhile in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful expression at all times and give a smile to every living creature you meet.
To give so much time to improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud word, but in great deeds.
To live in the faith that the whole world is on your side, so long as you are true to the best that is in you.


Christian D. Larson



Ride down the freeway


Run off the bike

Saturday is always a hard day with my longest ride and training session. Lots of my friends are out there training as well .

Today was no different. It has been a busy week training wise and with work. It has been hard marrying the two and then being time efficient with everything else  such as Family and my voluntary work.

Despite the pressures of life , I will not have it any other way . There are just days where life and being in it is so sweet. You know that just being well and alive and doing what you enjoy is a gift . Look at the glass half full not half empty.

Today is just such a day. Kona starts tonight and I will try and watch a bit before bed and follow the rest tomorrow . I got up at 5am and got out of the door by 5.25am , heading for my ride down the Freeway Bike path via the city . It was slow going with traffic lights and having to cross the rail tracks on the pedestrian bridge .But once I got on the cycle path it was much better. I had a 150km ride .

It was a nice day with overcast weather and some drizzle about. I saw Brad's group at the South Perth car park just before 6 am as i passed .They were presumably just about to start their ride down the freeway . i did not see them after that. Got into a comfortable rhythm and after an hour got passed by a rider. I tried to stay with him and follow his pace but he kept pulling away. I then got passed by 4 riders and decided to stick on them and managed to quicken the pace drafting behind them for the next 35km before they pulled off and I continued till I hit the 76 km mark and turned around. There was wind about and had a good tail wind with the guys i was following and I was doing 40kph at one stage and as high as 50kph for short burst.

I was on my own at the turn around for the next 1 hour and then 3 cyclist passed me and i hung onto them and decided to take a turn in the front I did that 3 times and in the final turn up front the others did not follow me and I was alone again. Finished up at the narrows and had a drink before heading home.Once home it was a quick 36 minute run off the bike.I managed 7km and felt a lot better than the previous session 2 weeks earlier. i ate throughout the ride and consumed close to 300 calories with gels , Gatorade dates and lollies. I only had 2 bidons but it was sufficient as it wasn't hot.

I must say that there was a lot more riders out today and it was great to be able to ride with other cyclist. They were gracious enough to allow me to draft behind and even take turns in front. It made the training ride so much more interesting with a little help from my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment