Thursday, November 21, 2013

Week 17 Are we there yet ?


                                                 Dogs Riding In Cars

I wish I could say that it is all about the journey . But when you have done 10 of these Ironman races in fairly rapid succession , something gives . In addition all the fine adjustment of training programmes and regimes always leaves new questions , new issues and new solutions to try. It is a never ending process of discovery or optimum training to suit the lifestyle. And that changes as well. desire changes and hunger changes.

It is a constant shifting of lines and learning.That is what makes it intriguing and frustrating. Coaches and mentors and helpful others are just that pedestrian with helpful advice but ultimately the body reacts the way it wants to the external factors including our stressful modern lives.

Why subject yourself to this. Well as I was running my first lap at Mandurah 70.3 a few weeks earlier , the exact question was posed by a young child to his mother. The answer I overheard was well these people love a challenge. That is right. Particularly if you fall into the category of the  OCD inspired variety of triathlete. Other acceptable answers are I like to win even if I am delusional, I hate getting chicked , love speed (again delusional) I think I can win a Kona spot and there were 30 on offer at Mandurah 70.3 (very delusional for the vast majority )

I just have to keep trying to improve. Well 17 weeks into a 19 week programme leaves me wondering are we there yet. Just about. If I had a report card on my training I would say as follows:(without being harsh)

Has made definite improvements despite early setbacks.
Weight is down
Mentally Definite gains this year from IMNZ
Bike still needs improvement and must make better effort with time management and training
Swim has slackened off and needs to get back to basics
Run Needs work but has made positive improvement
Overall C+

Everything hasn't gone to plan and I am Vitamin D deficient despite the hours in the sun , have had more flu and cold infections this winter than ever before and really felt run down . I have less flexibility and a stiff left shoulder from last year's fall.  But I have learnt a lot and have managed to hone in what is important and what isn't . I am hopeful I can keep building on with appropriate rest and most of all being realistic . What has changed is the greater workload and responsibility at work has meant training and just time have been difficult to juggle.Others do it all the time I just have to find ways to make it work.

Are we there yet.No but I do like looking out of the window at the passing scenery... Molly taught me that and when I get there I get there . Bring on Busselton Ironman 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment